It’s been so lengthy since we reviewed educational canine therapeutic massage media that our unique headline mentioned, “WDJ Critiques Videotapes That Educate Therapeutic massage.” Keep in mind videotapes?
The seek for video demonstrations used to take effort and time, however in the present day’s DVDs and streaming companies make it simple to gather details about canine therapeutic massage, grasp the fundamentals, improve your canine’s life, and even work towards canine therapeutic massage therapist certification – with out leaving house.
For canines, as for people, the advantages of therapeutic massage embrace rest; the discharge of pressure, ache, and muscle spasms; elevated flexibility; enhanced immune operate; improved athletic efficiency; sooner restoration; and physique alignment corrections that assist forestall accidents.
Focused strategies enhance the well being of aged, infirm, and handicapped canines; working livestock or looking canines; sports activities rivals; and household pets. Pre-activity therapeutic massage prepares a canine for lively train, whereas post-activity therapeutic massage helps the canine get better from exertion.
Skilled therapeutic massage therapists supply instruction in additional than simply offering remedy for the canine; additionally, you will discover ways to shield your personal physique whereas working in your canine. Picture Credit score: Martin Schlecht / Dreamstime.com
At-home therapeutic massage enhances the emotional bond between canines and their caregivers, and frequent massages make it simple for house owners to note uncommon lumps or different signs that ought to be checked by a veterinarian.
A few of the therapeutic massage faculties beneficial in our 2002 article have grown, and new presenters have added improvements and selection. Listed below are up to date descriptions of the instructional-product choices we’ve reviewed:
* Jean-Pierre Hourdebaigt mixed conventional and trendy therapeutic massage strategies for canines and horses when he based the Therapeutic massage Consciousness Technique in 1995. Hourdebaigt affords downloadable video clips that reveal correct positioning, hand sensitivity (stress, contact, and rhythm), primary therapeutic massage actions, rest routines, stretching tips, hydrotherapy (warmth, chilly, and ice-cup strategies), strategies that cut back edema and irritation, trigger-point therapeutic massage, stress-point therapeutic massage, and different approaches.
Coaching instruments embrace free on-line articles, educational movies, DVDs, and consulting companies. See animalawareness.com.
*Joanne Lang, govt director of the Lang Institute for Canine Therapeutic massage, affords a 688-hour course that trains skilled canine therapeutic massage therapists by combining house research with a four-day hands-on practicum wherein college students observe particular strategies.
“Most individuals know little or no about structural faults in animals,” Lang says, “and even that they exist. Understanding construction helps house owners assist weak areas and stop cumulative accidents.”
Lang’s favourite success tales contain canines who couldn’t stroll however who, because of therapeutic massage, went on to guide lively lives. “You don’t should be an skilled to enhance your personal canine’s well being and life, for even light therapeutic massage could make a giant distinction,” she says. See dogmassage.com.
* Mary Schreiber, who created Equissage in 1991, claims to have skilled greater than 20,000 animal therapeutic massage therapists. The Equissage Equine and Canine Sports activities Therapeutic massage coaching has been out there as a home-study program since 2000. Although she originated her strategies on horses, Schreiber tailored a sequence of therapeutic massage strokes for canine use.Homeowners of canine athletes who sled, racd, and hunt, and luxuriate in different sports activities are her most enthusiastic college students.
“I exploit the identical primary sequence for canines and horses,” she says, “however I added some new sports activities therapeutic massage strokes for canines. Whereas this muscle remedy was designed for all canines, it’s particularly properly suited to canines whose muscle mass are overused and overworked.” See equissage.com.
* Patricia Whalen-Shaw turned a licensed therapeutic massage therapist for people and in 1992 expanded to animals by holding clinics for horse, canine, and cat therapeutic massage. To be able to practice animal therapeutic massage therapists, she created Built-in Contact Remedy, which mixes Swedish and sports activities therapeutic massage with different strategies in a logical, progressive system.
“My methodology is designed to do no hurt and trigger no ache,” she says. “It’s smooth and requires endurance. That doesn’t imply it isn’t deep or that it isn’t efficient. It simply doesn’t overwhelm the animal. We by no means drive muscle mass to do something. As an alternative we keep inside the animal’s consolation zone and look ahead to the tissues to melt and for the protecting contracture, or tensing of muscle mass, to cease.” See integratedtouchtherapy.com
* Jonathan Rudinger, a licensed therapeutic massage therapist for people, started working with horses in 1982 and in 1997 turned a canine therapeutic massage therapist. Throughout a TV program that featured Rudinger, the interviewer introduced out an aged Golden Retriever and introduced, “Canine get stiff necks, too. What are you able to do to assist?” A minute later, the canine melted into Rudinger’s palms. “That was the turning level,” he says. “I knew I had abilities and strategies that I may share with folks to convey consolation to their animals.”
Rudinger went on to ascertain the PetMassage Coaching and Analysis Institute in Toledo, Ohio. In his movies, Rudinger demonstrates hand positions and traditional therapeutic massage strokes. To those he provides thumb-walking on the face and alongside the backbone and clasped palms, which gently carry the chest and stomach. His head-to-tail therapeutic massage consists of the eyes, mouth, and gums.
Along with coaching skilled therapeutic massage therapists, the Institute affords home-study books and DVDs, together with “Pet Therapeutic massage for the Household Canine” and “Pet Therapeutic massage for Children.” “In case you work together with your canine’s permission and observe directions,” he says, “you may’t make a mistake.” See petmassage.com.
* Angelique Barbara, D.C., is a chiropractor for people whose coaching features a bachelor’s diploma in veterinary science and a grasp’s in veterinary pathobiology. She affords on-line coaching in canine therapeutic massage remedy certification in addition to a home-study course for canine house owners who wish to study the fundamentals of pet therapeutic massage.
Her on-line Canine Therapeutic massage Course for Canine Homeowners examines the historical past of therapeutic massage, basis therapeutic massage strokes, Swedish therapeutic massage strategies, myofascial launch, primary stretches, and associated strategies, together with aromatherapy.
In keeping with her web site, “Dr. Barbara was one of many first practitioners to begin using kinesiology tape on animals and he or she was so impressed with the outcomes that she determined to develop a whole seminar devoted to the taping functions she developed. Her background in each the medical and analysis animal well being care world as properly her expertise as a human chiropractor give her a singular perspective on animal bodywork, which is clear in her programs.” See holisticanimalstudies.org.
* Christin Finn, DVM, is a veterinarian with credentials in chiropractic and osteopathic manipulation, veterinary acupuncture, and Conventional Chinese language Drugs. She and her workers on the Canine Rehabilitation and Integrative Veterinary Middle in Kingston, Washington, method mobility and well being points by treating the entire animal, somewhat than single illnesses, whereas correcting imbalances within the physique’s motion and construction that create ache and sickness. “Optimum well being and happiness will be achieved when all techniques are in stability,” she explains.
Dr. Finn produced a sequence of YouTube movies for canine lovers, exhibiting the way to breathe whereas massaging your canine, the way to use passive vary of movement strategies on youthful and older canines, and the way to therapeutic massage small canines. See finndvm.com.
* Nick Scott and Jamie Roth based the Ojai Faculty of Canine Therapeutic massage in 1999 in Ojai, California. Their home-study program combines Skype, audio, and video instruction with their 250-hour onsite certification program’s schooling in dog-gait and conformation evaluation, skilled documentation, canine diet, enterprise, anatomy, physiology, remedial train and stretching for canines, and First Support.
College students additionally study canine acupressure, myofascial launch, Swedish therapeutic massage, set off level remedy, TTouch for canines, sports activities therapeutic massage, and vitality work for canines.
As the varsity’s web site explains, “We’re dedicated to a holistic method to therapeutic. Our programs are designed to offer every pupil with a radical and well-rounded schooling, whereas offering probably the most present info out there within the canine therapeutic massage subject. We put together our graduates to efficiently enter the workforce as skilled canine therapeutic massage therapists.” See ojaischoolofmassage.com.
* The Canine Therapeutic massage Remedy Middle in the UK affords in-person and distant coaching for pet lovers, medical canine therapeutic massage practitioners, canine trainers, sporting canine handlers, and house owners of efficiency/competitors canines. Whereas its 2021 schedule remains to be being organized, U.S. residents can research teacher Natalie Lenton’s “Important Information to Secure, Efficient Canine Therapeutic massage at Residence (Canine Therapeutic massage in 3 Straightforward Steps)” by ordering this 2011 DVD from amazon.com or different retailers.
The “three simple steps” are a dot-to-dot introduction to your canine’s skeleton and principal muscle teams; a tutorial that demonstrates six therapeutic massage strategies; and a step-by-step whole-body therapeutic massage routine that addresses aching muscle mass and stiffness. See k9-massage.co.uk.
Streaming movies give us instantaneous entry to lengthy and brief demonstrations of each description. Certainly one of them options the well-known creator, “It’s Me or the Canine” TV presenter and canine coach Victoria Stilwell. On this video, Stilwell introduces Melanie Phillips, an authorized canine coach and canine therapeutic massage specialist, who explains the way to use therapeutic massage to assist your canine get better after an damage or to easily chill out. See tinyurl.com/WDJ-massage-MelaniePhillips.
Narda Robinson, DVM, director of the Colorado State College Middle for Comparative and Integrative Ache Drugs, demonstrates easy strategies you are able to do at house to assist alleviate your canine’s ache and discomfort in a four-minute video that demonstrates compression (light limb squeezing), effleurage (lengthy, soothing strokes), and petrissage (kneading or rolling motions). See tinyurl.com/WDJ-massage-NardaRobinson.
Marc Smith, DVM, a veterinarian from Nashville, Tennessee, explains in a 10-minute video the way to alleviate a canine’s arthritis ache with easy at-home therapeutic massage. Beginning on the knee, Dr. Smith strikes to the hip and again, demonstrating the way to transfer and maintain a leg or joint to interrupt up adhesions that contribute to ache. He additionally describes the way to reply if a canine is uncomfortable whereas being touched. See tinyurl.com/WDJ-massage-MarcSmith.
Jenny Youdan at K9 Parts Therapeutic massage Remedy in England is licensed in Swedish therapeutic massage, sports activities or deep tissue therapeutic massage, and myofascial launch. Within the video on the hyperlink beneath, Youdan offers an outline of medical canine therapeutic massage, explaining the fundamentals of canine anatomy and therapeutic massage remedy. She describes what can go mistaken, why canines could really feel stiff after train, and the way therapeutic massage will help with muscle strains and different issues. See tinyurl.com/WDJ-massage-JennyYoudan.
Jen Carver, a veterinary technician, licensed canine rehabilitation practitioner, and canine therapeutic massage therapist in Ontario, Canada, demonstrates in a 14-minute video the way to carry out a rest therapeutic massage. See tinyurl.com/WDJ-massage-JenCarver.
Leilani Alvarez, DVM, is head of the Animal Medical Middle’s Integrative and Rehabilitative Drugs Service in New York Metropolis. This 50-minute video reveals Dr. Alvarez demonstrating canine therapeutic massage on a Golden Retriever affected person, adopted by corrective workouts, throughout which she emphasizes the significance of proprietor participation in any pet-rehabilitation program. See tinyurl.com/WDJ-massage-LeilaniAlvarez.
There are various extra canine therapeutic massage hints, suggestions, and how-to demonstrations at YouTube and different on-line assets, yours free for downloading. Between brief streaming movies and extra detailed recordings on DVD or at massage-related web sites, you’re positive to search out tips that suit your schedule and expertise degree so that you just and your canine can profit from and luxuriate in therapeutic massage’s therapeutic contact. And who is aware of? You could determine to pursue canine therapeutic massage as a vocation!
The publish Canine Therapeutic massage Instruction appeared first on Entire Canine Journal.